Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Little Birthday mixed with Wedding

So I turned the big 2-8 on Tuesday...definitely no longer in my mid-twenties and well on my way into the good old thirties! It was the BEST birthday!!! (by the end of the post you'll see how simple I really am to please:) Since i've been married, birthdays are pretty mellow, with maybe a family dinner, or a date night, but nothing too exciting! So here's a little story of my 28th birthday adventures.
A couple days ago, Matt told me he needed me from noon to four, and his mom would watch the kids. Just the mere fact that he was taking a half day off work I was giddy. We headed to La Jolla for lunch because he had an "appointment" down there at 2. Lunch was at one of our favorite La Jolla eateries and throughout the meal, he gave me 4 clues as to what were doing next....clue #3 peaked my curiosity to the max, and I finally guessed on #4. Here's the clues, if you guess the activity, you get a prize... maybe:)
1) You need to remember a few facts
2) You need to take off your wedding ring
3) It's slightly dishonest :)
4) Your mom would love it .....and the appointment was...drumroll please!!!


We went wedding cake tasting and it was SO fun! To really appreciate this, you have to understand my minor obsession with wedding cakes. I LOVE them!!! It's probably my most favorite thing about weddings next to the brides dress. And everytime I know someone getting married I'm happy to offer my cake tasting expertise. So the fact that Matt thought this up on his own, and called our wedding planner friend to find out the best place to go, made my day. Seriously, I really am pretty darn easy to please, especially when sugars involved! I Love things that take thought. Not to mention there never has been a better birthday cake. The cake place gave us about 14 different flavors, and even sent them all home with us. It really was the BEST cake ever. So we're getting married October 4th, and the cakes all picked out. You're all invited!!! We ended our afternoon date with a little shopping. Matt is one of my favorite shopping buddies. Just to clarify for his sake, I know it's not one of his favorite activites, being the manliest of all men and all, but I love that he'll go with me from time to time!
While we were gone, Carson & Grandma Karen were hard at work making cupcakes that provided some good entertainment when Carson asked Matt, "Hey, Can I shove this cupcake in your face?" Carson's got Matt's laugh and when they get going it's the funniest thing EVER! If you've ever heard Matt laugh just picture two of him. It's contagious.
Of course Matt had to get him back. And then the boys went to assess the damage in the mirror.

Carson couldn't imagine anything better than smeared frosting all over your face and has since asked for it a few more times.



Next up, I went out with a few girlfriends for dinner and pedicures! It was so fun to have Becky, my best friend from highschool in town, to come along!

Just in case we want to act out some scenes on our upcoming trip to Mexico, Lori bought us some gilligan island prop hats. Not to mention a little shout out of patriotism for the 4th of July.

I seriously ALWAYS have a blast when I hang out with these girls, they're the best.....so thanks a ton girls!!! To top it all off, Lori and Mariah put together this poem, that really is a pretty darn good summary of me. I love love love love it! I don't know if you can read it when you click on it, but if not, just know it's really good and you are missing out!
So that was it for my fun filled day. I LOVE birthdays!!!

9 comments:

flip flop mama said...

How fun! Happy Birthday!

Marcie said...

Happy Birthday, Brooke! The wedding cake sampling is too funny, the poem is so sweet and I love the pics of pure joyous laughter between father & son!

Halvos said...

Oh my goodness! Those pictures of Carson and Matt are hysterical! I can just hear their laughing and it makes me laugh! Looks like you had a few too many calories for your birthday! :) Cake tasting, Mimi's dinner + dessert, AND MORE CUPCAKES!! Who could ask for anything more? Thanks for spending it with us--I had a blast! Love you!

Holly said...

I started laughing SO hard when I read where you were going for your birthday! You're so sneaky...and we'll definitely be there for your special October 4th wedding:)
And...I couldn't help but laugh at the pictures of Matt & Carson. The pictures are contageous, I couldn't imagine hearing them!!!
You have such great friends to write you that poem! It's fun to see a picture of Becky too! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Happy 28th to you!!!

Jen and Bryan said...

happy birthday, hot mama!!! Did you get my message? We're in town and I would love to see you. Call me. What time is your ward? I kind of want to go to it tomorrow....

Hazen5 said...

Happy birthday! Matt is so cute and very original with the cake tasting activity!!!

Carrie said...

What a FUN birthday!! That was so sweet of Matt to take you to an "appointment" How creative! I love the poem!!

bethany said...

That was such a funny (and fitting) birthday surprise from Matt!! Maybe I should have let you eat the whole dessert in NZ instead of just half-I'm a bad friend...

the Sisters said...

I love that story. What a cute husband! I can't believe how big your kids are getting!